The SimplyGo Mini portable oxygen concentrator is the latest edition to the respiratory product line from Philips Respironics. Following the clean design lines of its predecessor, the SimplyGo, the Mini offers high oxygen capacity in a compact size.
The most notable features of the SimplyGo Mini is the weight – only 5 pounds – and an increase in oxygen output of 20% over other 5-pound models. The SimplyGo Mini is a pulse only unit and provides up to setting 5. The Mini provides the following levels of oxygen at 20 breaths per minute:
Setting 1: 11 ml per breath, 220 ml/min
Setting 2: 22 ml per breath, 440 ml/min
Setting 3: 33 ml per breath, 660 ml/min
Setting 4: 44 ml per breath, 880 ml/min
Setting 5: 50 ml per breath, 1,000 ml/min
+/- 25% or 6 ml, whichever is greater (average of 20 consecutive pulses)
The SimplyGo Mini comes standard with the SimplyGo Mini concentrator in an attractive carry bag, matching accessory bag, AC and DC adapters for home and car, and one (1) rechargeable battery. The SimplyGo Mini offers two battery options – the Standard battery provides 4.5 hours on setting 2 and keeps the overall weight at 5 pounds while the Extended battery provides 9 hours on setting 2 and increases the overall weight to only 6 pounds. Most retailers will provide additional batteries at a discounted price when you add them to the purchase of your SimplyGo Mini. Other optional accessories include a desktop battery charger, backpack in brown or black, and black carry and accessory bags.
The SimplyGo Mini is currently awaiting approval by the FAA; however, individual airlines may allow its use, so check with your airline before traveling.
Philips Respironics SimplyGo Mini – What I like about it:
- Lightest POC that delivers up to pulse setting 5 – only 5 lbs.
- Provides 20% more oxygen than other 5-pound models
- Oxygen output levels are strong and not misleading. Other manufacturers often provide oxygen output figures using only 15 breaths per minute which is fewer breaths than most people take in a minute. The Mini output levels are provided for 20 breaths per minute, which is more in line with average breathing rates.
- Noise level – Good. I was actually impressed with how quiet the Mini is compared to the Inogen One G3
- Two battery options with long battery life
- Runs on pulse flow, and charges the battery, when plugged into an automobile outlet with the DC adapter
Philips Respironics SimplyGo Mini – What I wish were better about it:
- Carry Bag – The SimplyGo Mini carry bag has nothing across the top of the bag to prevent the unit from slipping out if it is picked up incorrectly and turns upside down. This would rarely be a problem, but I’d hate to see your investment end up damaged on the ground after falling out of the bag. Just be aware of this and use caution when picking up the bag to be sure it is upright.
All-in-all, I am impressed with the SimplyGo Mini. It is a great option for oxygen users seeking a small, lightweight unit, but need or want the option of higher pulse flow settings. Also, those who are noise sensitive, or who were unsatisfied with the loud purging sound of the Inogen One G3, will be very pleased with the quietness of the SimplyGo Mini. I would not hesitate to recommend the Mini to many oxygen users.